Snacks are an important part of a healthy diet. They provide us with energy and nutrients between meals to fuel active brains and power working muscles. They can also help to stave off cravings that can derail even the best off intentions! But with so many options to choose from, where do you start?
Well I've done the hard work for you and compiled a list of healthy snacks that you can make at home or grab on the go...
1. 1 piece medium fruit, 1 cup fruit salad or 1 small tub diced fruit in natural juice
2. 1 tub reduced fat yoghurt (try Chobani, Yoplait Forme, Nestle Soleil Diet or Tamar Valley No Added Sugar)
3. 30g (1 small handful) raw or roasted unsalted nuts or trail mix (made with nuts, dried fruit & seeds)
4. 1 slice raisin toast (try Burgen fruit & muesli bread) thinly spread with reduced fat table spread
5. 1-2 cups natural air-popped popcorn (not the kind you get at the movies!)
6. 1 oat and fruit based muesli bar (try Be Natural or Carmen's)
7. 1 wholegrain crumpet topped with 2 tablespoons reduced fat ricotta, sliced banana and a small drizzle of honey
8. 1 glass reduced fat or skim milk with 2 teaspoons Milo or Vitarium sugar-free flavoured milk mix
9. 2 wholegrain Ryvitas or Vita-Weats each spread with 1 teaspoon peanut butter or 1/2 slice reduced fat tasty cheese and tomato
10. Fruit smoothie (made with 1/2 small banana, 1/4 cup frozen berries, 2 heaped tablespoons reduced fat plain yoghurt and 3/4 cup reduced fat or skim milk)
11. 1 cup vegie sticks (carrot, celery, capsicum, cucumber) with 4 tablespoons reduced fat tzatziki, hommus, guacamole or cream cheese
12. 1/2 cup reduced fat plain or greek yoghurt topped with the fruit of 1 passionfruit and 2 tablespoons Kellogg's Fibre Toppers
13. 2 Arnotts Snack Right or Spicy Fruit Roll biscuits