Saturday 10 May 2014

Dietitian Eats Series: Kate Callaghan

For the past couple of weeks I've been bringing you the food diaries of Dietitians to show YOU what healthy eating looks like and to prove to you that we love food just as much as you (and are only human when it comes to chocolate!).

If you've missed any in the series click here, here and here!

But for now? Meet Kate...


Kate Callaghan, Accredited Practising Dietitian and Personal Trainer

Currently working in New Zealand, Kate is particularly passionate about women’s health and recovery from eating disorders, as well as digestive problems such as coeliac disease, IBS and IBD.  

Twitter: @ATGnutrition
Instagram: kate_callaghan
Email: kate.theholisticnutritionist@gmail.com
Food Philosophy: “Fresh is best”. I believe we should choose real, whole, unprocessed, nutrient-dense foods and eat the way nature intended, rather than filling up on packaged and processed foods.

I have coeliac disease and an intolerance to milk, so all of my meals are gluten-free and dairy-free (but definitely not taste-free!), other than a little yoghurt. I try to include as many colourful vegetables in my day as possible, and I encourage my clients to do the same as they have an abundance of vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants, which provide amazing health benefits. Animal-based protein and healthy fats provide the icing on the cake!


7am Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day. I change it up every couple of days, but this one really makes me smile. It is such a great start to the day and really easy to make – 2 eggs mixed with mashed banana and cinnamon, cooked in a pan as you would an omelette and served with yoghurt, berries, flaxseeds and coconut flakes. Yum!


10am It was a sunny, warm day, so I felt like a smoothie, which I enjoyed while sitting out on my verandah (I work from home a lot). I posted this on Instagram and had some very envious comments. I simply threw in a blender: frozen mixed berries, natural yoghurt, cinnamon, vanilla and water, topped with goji berries and cacao nibs.


1pm As we head into winter, I usually have warm foods for lunch, but it was hot the day I had this. I tend to get carried away with my salads – a little bit of everything ends up being quite a massive pile of vegetables! This Super Salmon Salad was made with as many veggies as I could find, avocado, seeds, lemon juice and olive oil. I used canned salmon here, with bones, as they are a great source of calcium and omega 3 fatty acids.


4pm As odd as it sounds, I had a craving for broccoli on this day. I know, sounds weird right? So I roasted up some broccoli florets and topped with a little olive oil and pine nuts. It was actually pretty delicious and really hit the spot. Some (most) days I will probably have a couple of squares of dark chocolate, too. I am human, after all.


7pm I LOVE roast veggies, so they will always be part of dinner. This meal is another easy one (I generally am quite a lazy cook) - Yellow chicken curry served with steamed broccoli (just in case I hadn’t had enough in the afternoon) cabbage and roasted pumpkin.
 

1 comment: